We are searching data for your request:
Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Spicy beef skewers
Spicy beef skewers
Cooks In50 minutes plus marinating
DifficultyNot too tricky
Nutrition per serving
Calories 501 25%
Fat 33g 47%
Saturates 8.8g 44%
Sugars 10.4g 12%
Protein 38.4g 77%
Carbs 13.5g 5%
Of an adult's reference intake
- 1 kg fillet of beef , trimmed
- 500 g ripe tomatoes , mixed colours if possible
- ½ a red cabbage
- ½ a white cabbage
- 1 red onion
- 1 cucumber
- 2 lemons
- extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- For the marinade
- 10 uda pods (see tip)
- 400 g salted roasted peanuts
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion granules
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 organic fish or chicken stock cube
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger
- 1 fresh green chilli
- 1 fresh Scotch bonnet
- 1 green pepper
- 1 spring onion
- You will need
- 32 wooden skewers
Jamie and Jimmy's Friday Night Feast
- Eaten straight off the grill, these sizzling beef skewers are a popular and delicious Nigerian street food snack.
- Around 1 hour before you start, soak 32 wooden skewers in plenty of cold water.
- Very finely slice the beef, flatten slightly with the flat side of your knife, then place on a plate. Cover and place in the fridge until needed.
- To make the marinade, bash the uda pods in a pestle and mortar. Remove and discard the seeds, then place the pods into a liquidiser with the peanuts and spices. Crumble in the stock cube, then blitz for 5 to 10 minutes to a rough powder, stopping and stirring the mixture from time to time. Transfer the ground spices to a large bowl.
- Peel and roughly chop the onion, garlic and ginger. Trim and deseed the chillies and pepper, then roughly chop. Trim and roughly chop the spring onion. Add it all to the liquidiser and blitz until smooth. Transfer the mixture to the ground spices and stir well. Turn the beef in the marinade until well coated, then thread 4 to 5 slices onto each soaked skewer. Place on a tray, cover and pop in the fridge to marinate for around 3 hours.
- To make the salad, finely slice the tomatoes, then trim and finely shred the cabbage. Peel and finely slice the onion, then finely slice the cucumber. Place into a large bowl with a squeeze of lemon juice, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Preheat a large griddle pan over a medium-high heat. Drizzle the skewers with a little olive oil, then place on the griddle for 1 to 2 minutes, or until beautifully gnarly and golden, turning regularly (you’ll need to do this in batches). Drizzle over a little extra virgin olive oil, then serve with the salad and extra lemon wedges for squeezing over.
- Jamie's Tip: Uda pods add a lovely sharp, peppery taste to dishes and are used a lot in West African cooking. If you can’t get hold of them, Szechuan peppercorns are similar in flavour.