Double ginger cake
We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Cooks In1 hour 20 minutes plus cooling
Nutrition per serving
Calories 364 18%
Fat 14.5g 21%
Saturates 8.7g 44%
Sugars 36.6g 41%
Protein 4.6g 9%
Carbs 53.7g 21%
Of an adult's reference intake
- 8 pieces of stem ginger in syrup, plus 4 tablespoons syrup
- 150 g unsalted butter
- 200 g golden syrup
- 100 g dark muscovado sugar
- 250 g self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 200 ml milk
- 100 g light muscovado sugar
By Anna Jones
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas 4.
- In a food processor, pulse the pieces of stem ginger (reserving the syrup) until roughly chopped. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
Next, throw in the butter, golden syrup, dark muscovado sugar and ginger syrup. Blitz until pale and creamy, then add the flour and spices and blitz again.
- Add the eggs and milk and whiz them up too. Pour the cake mixture into the bowl with the stem ginger and mix well.
- Grease a 12cm x 23cm loaf tin, then line with baking paper.
- Pour in the cake mixture, sprinkle over the light muscovado and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. If it’s browning too much, cover with foil.
- When cooked, remove from the oven and let it stand, then turn out onto a rack to cool.